Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"How He Asked, in His Words"


 

 
In His Words... 
 
"To those of you that read this, I’m warning you in advance that this is my first blog post ever and it is probably going to be really terrible. That being said I hope you enjoy the story about my beautiful fiancé Taylor and I."  ~ Justin

I want you to imagine a college bar scene. It’s a dark, cold Friday night and all the bar lights are shining and lines of college students are forming outside the door. Now, imagine the poor soul who is checking ID’s at the front door of the most popular bar near campus. That was me.

I was a recent graduate and was working three jobs trying to build a future for myself, this job, as the security manager, was a job I had had all through college and I stayed working there because I didn’t know what the bar would do without me. In reality I think that maybe it was more of me not knowing what to do without working at the bar. Maybe it was a little bit of both.

After working at the same bar late every night for so many years, you become accustomed to all of the regular patrons to the point where you know what each individual is wearing in their driver’s license picture and what state they are from. You become accustomed to pretty girls dressed to impress and always attempting to cut the line to get in. For some reason I never allowed it, because I wondered why they should be so special to cut the line just because they were wearing heels and a dress in the middle of winter.



So when a gorgeous girl with blue eyes and a bright smile stands in line and doesn’t attempt to go through the VIP entrance, you tend to take notice, especially when all of the guys around her can’t stop staring. This girl was Taylor. I didn’t know it at the time, but this was the woman who would become the most important individual in my life and my soulmate.

You see, bouncers have a secret code that we identify people with in order to communicate with each other. This way, other people won't understand what the conversation is over the radio. We have codes for drunk people, fake ID’s, people sleeping, people puking, and identifying pretty girls. The first time Taylor walked into the bar I called over the radio that there was a “Single Pineapple Indiana Tiger”.  According to the bouncer handbook I cannot divulge the translation of this phrase because it might jeopardize the code... But, let’s just say that I thought she was very attractive.

A few more nights passed and she continued to come to the bar. For someone that had not previously been a regular she had been making quite a few appearances. Every time she came in she was always polite, quiet and would just smile at me and not say a word. So I watched, not in a creepy stare where she needed to get a restraining order, but more of an observation. Observing her friends, the type of person she becomes after she had been drinking, and if she was dating anyone.

After a while I came to the conclusion that she was a nice person. Most pretty girls are very unapproachable and mock someone who is out of their league for attempting to talk to them, but Taylor was very classy. She was always friendly, she always had a smile, and was friends with a large spectrum of people. Fortunately for me, I realized that one of her close friends was a coworker of mine at the bar. Once I realized this friend connection I went straight to the coworker and in a roundabout way asked if she would introduce us.

To my surprise she was eager to introduce us because she felt that we would be a good match. After she introduced us, I made a few shy jokes and tried my hardest to be interesting and funny and before she left the bar I made sure to give her my number and asked her to call me.



Although I was nervous the moment I gave her my number, I had no idea how much more nervous I was going to become after that night. (Side Note: Taylor actually “lost” my number right after she left the bar and had to ask her friends to contact my friends to get it for her. I didn’t find this out until later.)

After our second date, I knew she was the woman I was going to marry so I began saving for a diamond ring. From that moment on, we went through a year of dating and several trials and tribulations. Between living hundreds of miles apart to my season of work as a Hot Shot where I would be gone for weeks on end without phone service.

Once we decided to finally move in together, and get new jobs in order to be closer to one another, life began to run more smoothly. After I saved enough money to buy her a ring, I took her to Jared’s and told her we were just looking at rings because if I didn’t mention it already, Taylor is one of the pickiest and opinionated people I know (I mean that in the most affectionate way). Once she had decided on a ring, I surprised her when I just said, "Let's just get it." But, I told her I would wait to give it to her.

Once I had the ring in my pocket, and we were on our way home from the jewelry store, I knew that I couldn’t wait because I was so excited. Once we got home, she went into the bedroom and when she came out, I had the ring out. She looked at me and I said, “So are we doing this or not?” You can imagine what the response was since I wrote this blog."


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...