Wednesday, December 31, 2014

On the Cusp of a New Year 12.31.14

 
 
(Photo by Bridget Levi & Brianna Meyer of Still Life Studios)
 

It's New Years Eve.
 And oh wow....the crazy amounts of possibilities that come with the start of a fresh new year!  My mind has been spinning...and I've made ridiculous amounts of notes in the past 48 hours. 

My word for 2014 was "LEGIT"....I was all about legitimatizing all aspects of my business and making sure that I was doing everything correctly in terms of insurance, accounting, taxes, contracts...ya know all the SUPER DUPER "boring" stuff.  Well, at least it was stuff that I found to be boring...because I'd much rather be doing anything CREATIVE, FUN, involving PEOPLE. 

But...in order to set myself up for a scalable successful business I knew I HAD to embrace all of my unknowns...and while yes, I knocked off several "to do list" items...I'm not done...with my "legitness" nor will I ever be, it's just part of entrepreneurship.  My hopes are that one day I'll be able to employ an Office Manger to rock this part of the biz...until then it's all me baby. (and my amazing tax accountant, thank goodness).

  So what's next...I thought I'd be brave and post a few goals of mine for 2015...because sharing helps me stay accountable. 

1.)  "Domestic" ~ yes. domestic, that's my "word" for 2015.  I've been a mama for 2 years now, and that word still scares me.  This past year, I was told a few times that I was a "super mom".... that just made me cringe.  Because I'm far from that.  Yes, I run a growing business, yes I have two little rock star baby dolls, and yes I share the highlights of my life online that many "appear" like I'm "doing it all"....but lemme tell ya, I'm not a "super mom."  I rarely cook, never meal plan, don't grocery shop consistently, and there are constantly piles of unfolded laundry in our home.  I took a personality test recently and it indicated that "my type" becomes "easily bored when things repeat themselves and too much detailed work and care is required." (this also explains my struggles with book keeping.) So...learning that made me feel a little less "guilty"...but in order to create a home more cozy and functional for my sweet family I know this is an area I need to put more emphasis on.  I just need to find ways to make cooking and laundry more fun.  Like....trying to bust out a load of laundry out while watching a new show after the babies go to bed...if I could do one load a day, that's all it would take.  Or cooking twice a week and setting up the dining room table like a mini party (because I do LOVE entertaining, that's for sure). 

2.) "Using My Voice More Authentically" This year I felt like a held back a lot, and second guessed myself way too much. I spent too much time comparing myself to others in my industry (something everyone is guilty of doing at certain points of their life).  My eyes were certainly opened to a bigger spectrum of this wedding/event management world and I met a lot of really cool peeps...but I also pulled back (somewhat unconsciously) on being "me".  And the truth is...at the end of the day...in my line of work...people want/need to see who "YOU" really are....because I'm selling "myself."...which is super weird to begin with, but it's part of the business that I've accepted and embraced...and I'm ready to rock my "J.Starr"ness more :)

3.) "Blog Changes" And here's where goals 1 & 2 collide.  I'd like to "change" up things on the blog.  As a part of embracing more of my "domestic" and "authentic" sides... I'd like to share a new series on the blog....a "Stylizing Series." This is where I'd like to showcase people and highlight their talents...and offer more tips on how to better "stylize" or "inspire" day to day living.  This can range from goal setting, fashion, home improvements, health & wellness, entertaining, managing money, etc.  I'd like to stick with all topics that interest me personally.  So if you'd like to be featured or would like to nominate someone for this series please let me know. 

4.) "Business Book Club" Yep. I'm starting one.  Because as I mentioned in goal one, I get easily bored with repeated things...so I need to make reading FUN and social.  So, if you're an entrepreneur and would like to join...please let me know. 


And with this, I will wrap up...As always I appreciate you reading and supporting... and I encourage you to share your goals....feel free to share them in the comments below...

I sincerely hope to use this blog more to write and share about all things creative, ideas to "stylize" and & "inspire" life's journey.  Until then....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

~ J.Starr

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...